The Best Movies of 2011
The annual round up of Tamil movies and music. I have been blogging about Tamil movies since the inception of this blog. The love for the movies never goes out of me. So let’s see what was 2011 all about in the world of Tamil movies.
The Movies that missed the cut
1. Mouna Guru – loved the concept and acting. A promising start from director Santhakumar
2. Engeyum Eppothum – another promising youngster – Saravanan. It didn’t make the final list because it didn’t affect me much
3. Mankatha – for becoming the first and only blockbuster of 2011. It broke the hero stereotypes of Tamil cinema and a brilliant performance by Ajith. It didn’t make the cut because of logical loopholes.
4. Yudham Sei – wonderfully taken movie but had some blatant errors. A smart movie watcher would have guessed the movie by half time. But the performance of Lakshmi, YG and that boy – surprise
5. Vaagai Sooda Vaa – for taking us back to our roots and history
Disappointments of 2011
3. Ezham Arivu – half baked attempt at historical fiction. Extremely hyped and flawed
4. Deiva Thirumagal – one of the worst copycat movie ever to be made in Tamil Cinema
5. Rajapaatai – I still could not figure out how Suseendran can give the best and worst in the same year. He managed to do so. It’s the biggest dud of the year.
Best Songs/Albums of 2011
The Trends that are worrying
1. The widespread plagiarism that has developed like a plague in the industry. Stories, screenplays,music scores, scenes and even posters are being copied from all over the world. Hope they make some originals in 2012.
2. The B-grade movies are back in Tamil. Quite a number of releases made its way in 2012 but they were not hits. Hope it doesn’t become a trend next year.
3. The dearth of small movies. The political situation was one of the major reasons for this but the change of political guard has changed the trend in the last few months. We can see some small movies releasing next year.
4. Where are the blockbusters? Arguably, there was only one blockbuster in 2011. The star value movies didn’t fetch the profit as expected. Hope the big stars choose their movies wisely next year.