Another Update: The Official reply from Quiz Master Dr. Sumanth C.Raman
Read the review on the Bustle 2008 Quiz. Just thought I would add my two bit here. First of all the aim for me and the Organizers (I check this with them each time) when I conduct a quiz is to ensure that everyone in the hall has a good time and has some knowledge to take back at the end of the quiz. The audience is therefore as important as the participants themselves. The questions are also designed to be at least 75-80% in the category that can be easily answered or would be of moderate difficulty with 20-25% being in the tough category to test the teams. For this quiz there were a fair number of questions that were not answered by the teams on stage and which came to the audience. Further to the comment that all the questions were lifted from various websites is completely incorrect. Yes,as in almost every Quiz across the Country some of the questions were taken from the web AFTER Verification of their authenticity and accuracy from multiple sources. In a Quiz with more than 85 questions asked the reviews speak of just one BSA-SLR Question where the accuracy is questioned-Very Clearly mentioned as in “BSA-SLR CYCLES” on stage as those who were there can attest. By the way those interested can check the following links to see what SLR in Cycles could mean—http://www.infobanc.com/cycle6.htm, http://www.thecommercejournal……/10432.htm.
Better still you could ask the manufacturers of the bicycles themselves to be sure!!!
I am more than game to accept a fair review but the one put up by Rohit Nair in particular seems quite vicious and is unfortunate. I must thank Sylvain who at least acknowledged that the audience had a good time. It is difficult to please everyone and to each his own opinion. We go to an event with an expectation and if it is not met we are disappointed and so Sylvain’s review is perfectly understandable. I have been part of QFI for ages and ironically enough today my aim is to ensure that my quizzes reach everyone across all IQ levels and not just the QFI whiz kids. So I guess the reviews from the brilliant bunch are understandable after all. Maybe this quiz was just not tough enough to test them! Good Luck and All the Best!!!
I can summarize the whole quiz in a single sentence. What happens when you expect a Chandramukhi and go to the theatre, end up sitting in Kuselan? Thats what happened to lot of quizzers, who attended the Bustle ’08, the annual corporate quiz hosted by MOP Vaishnav College for Women, Chennai.
There was a huge participation for the quiz, although it had a entry fee ( Rs.1000) attached to it. The quiz master was the famed sports anchor of DD, Chennai – Dr.Sumanth C.Raman. The prelims actually started out like a typical Rajini movie with a good introduction ( the first question), with briliant interludes of questions on Symbian, 13th row and Gateway but fizzled out in the last.
After the prelims there were about 8 questions asked to break the tie between 5 Teams. I thought it would not end ever because the questions were damn easy and the teams were good. How about a * Questions concept next time. It works better.
The main picture was a dud. Run of the mill questions except for two questions ( believe me, you can find it in the list of questions below). I don’t think anybody will be so bad to miss LIC’s tag line.
There was a huge problem with the buzzers and I thought it would end up in literal brawl between few teams on stage. May be they could have done the quiz without the buzzers. But the audience had the most fun, commenting for each question, catching chocolates….
Only one comment stayed in my mind after the quiz made by a guy few rows before me when the quiz master said “This is a simple one, You should get it”,
“Tell me, which one was tough?”
MOP Bustle ’08 – Questions
1. Which first private sector bank to commence operations in India in 1994?
2. Which company has partnered with Virgin Mobile to launch it in India?
3. Which company or group owns the newly launched FM channel Chennail Live 104.8?
4. If Nipuna was Satyam’s BPO arm, what is the name of IBM’s BPO arm after it acquired this company?
5. This company was originally owned by Nokia, Ericsson, Sony Ericsson, Panasonic and Samsung. A separate foundation was made in June 2008 in order to produce and distribute royalty free software. Its the No.1 brand in its domain and has market share of 60%.What am i Talking about?
6.Which Indian Pharma company was originally started as Trinity laboratories?
7.With reference to the interiors of their aircrafts, what is common to Lufthansa, Air France, KLM, Thai Airways, Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Malaysian Airlines and many other?
There is no 13th Row
8. By what name we know Thiyagaraja Sundaram better?
9. Prius, Prado and Matrix are brands of which company?
10. What is the name given to the drugs which can be bought only through doctor’s prescription? Ethical Drugs
11. Hard castle and Connaught Place Restaurant were responsible for which MNC’s entry in to India?
12. Which corporate organisation’s HQ is named “Bush House”?
13. If Finnacle is for Infosys, what is it for iFlex?
14. What is the new brand of hotels from Taj Hotels which is aims catering to the contemporary traveller?
15. If Delhi – Bangalore is Airtel Express, what is Vodafone Express?
16. Logo of Google Chrome
17. Pic of Simone Tata
18.Kumaramangalam Birla’s Pic – Which Institution is the Chancellor – BITS Pilani
19. BSE Building – Feroze Jeejabhoi Towers
20. iPhone 3G – Name the OS and the Browser – Safari and iPhone OS
Tie Breakers for Selecting the Teams on stage.
1.In the world of Management, what is SWOT?
Strength, Weakness, Opportunities and Threats
2.Inspiring Confidence – Tag Line – Bajaj Auto
3.In all the health drinks, there is abbreviation called RDA. What is RDA?
Recommended Dietary Allowances
4.Industrial City in Honshu, Japan gave the name to a popular brand. Name the brand?
5. Which book in the Harry Potter Series was published twice?
I think it’s Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone.
Priya Village Roadshow
7.Tony Fernandes in GOA is the CEO of which international Airlines?
8. Usually a defective piece of work is by this word. It was originally called by a certain venetian glass maker.
Finals – 10 Rounds (8+2 Added up later)
1. Oldest stock exchange in the world.
2.This was invented in 1956 by Robert Adler and was called as “Zenith Space Commander”?
3. India’s first medical technology park. Where it is planned and who is promoting it?
Sriperumbadur, Chennai and Trinitron
4. What’s common to Salboni in WB, Dewas in MP and Mysore in Karnataka?
The three places other than Nasik, where currency notes are printed
5. Meghdoot awards are given to people in which public service?
Indian Postal Service
6. Why Chik shampoo is named so?
Named after C.K.Ranganathan’s Father Chinni Krishnan
Original Name of Citibank – Citibank of Newyork
1. If .in is for India, .kh is for which country?
2. Where is the restaurant Curry Leaves is present and who is the owner ( Cricketer)?
Aravinda De Silva , Colombo
3. Expand BSA SLR
Birmingham Small Arms Sports Light Roadster
4. S.Venkataram Chettiar and Adhi Krishna Chettiar started this with a modest capital of 1 Lakh in 1919. Still it has its HQ in a small town.
Karur Vysya bank
5. What is so unique about fueling technology in Airbus A 380?
The first flight to run in Natural gas
6. In the world of marketing, what are the 4Ps?
Product, Price, Promotion and Place
He starred in Friends, Baywatch etc., He is dyslexic. His first business is a mail order records business.
Round 3 – Visual Round
1. Pic of Large Hadron Collider – What other invention did the organization involved in this gave to the world?
2.Logos of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
3.Connect Coffee cup and SM Krishna – Amalgamated beans co, owning Coffee Day is started by VG Siddhartha, the son-in-law of SM Krishna
4.Pic of Shanmugam Chetty – First Finance Minister
5.Amazon.com logo – Funda Behind it – they have all the titles from A to Z and they have a vision of smiles in the customers faces.
6.Pic of Antilia – Mukesh Ambani’s House
Pic of Dale Carnegie
Round 4 – Visual Round II
1. Connect Emerging Media logo and a Sardar Pic – Rajasthan Royals – Emerging media owns it and the mascot – Moonchu Singh
2. Indian Rubber Board HQ – Kottayam
3. Largest Indian Yacht – Indian Empress – Vijay Mallya
4. A pic of bungalow – whose it is and how much he bought for in 1958
Warren Buffet and $31,500
5. Connect GuruRaj Desh Pande and Jerry Rao – Narayanamurthy – Gururaj is the brother in LAw and Jerry is the Nephew
6. Wikimedia Logo and Wales map – Jimmy Wales
Pic of two people – K.S.Thirupathi Raja and Murali. – Adyar Ananda Bhavan.
My doubt with this question is How does Krishna Sweets Murali is connected to Adyar Ananda Bhavan – except for sweet shops
Jaggi Vasudev and ISB – Inner Management program by jaggi Vasudev in ISB
Round 5 – Logos
4.Cisco – What does it represent – San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge
Round 6 – People
3.Sylvaster Da Cunha – What did he create ? – Amul Poppat Girl
6.Fed bank Logo
7.LIC logo – What’s missing – Yogekshema Bahmiyam
1. What are the official languages of Pudhucherry?
Tamil, French, Telegu and Malayalam
2. Two football clubs in news for possible buy out by Anil Ambani?
New Castle and everton
3. What is neploitana with respect to coffee?
4. Docutalk is the in house journal of which company?
5. Currency used in Reunion Islands
6. In entertainment industry what is Q-factor?
Value for money in proportion to the like-ability of the product
1. marketing wing of ISRO – Altrix
2. NIMEX – New York Mercantile Exchange
3. Salim Group was invited for making a petrol plan. BUPC is very active in this place and forms part of HDA. What?
4. Sense and Simplicity – tagline – Philips
5. What is Weebok?
Shoes for children below 5 from Reebok
6. Main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing – Whose Quote?
1. When is a movie theater is called a Multiplex?
3 or more screens
2.BPO of British Airways?
WNS – World Network Services
3.What is PEST in marketing?
Political, Economic, Social and technological
4. Parent Company of Inox
5. Who instituted Noble Prize for Economics?
6. Unscramble Villain Neck
1. “What are you made of” – Tag Hauer
2. “Honestly Impressive” – Peter England
3. “Men are back” – SX4
4. “Refreshingly Orange. Surprisingly Pulpy” – Minute Maid Pulpy Orange
5. “Live Every Moment” – Airtel
6. “Red is in your Head” – Red FM